CBSE Guess Official Helpline Forum for CBSE Students, Teachers and Parents. Educational Portals: ICSE | IGNOU | NIOS | IIT JEE | AIPMT | AIEEE | Friends
CBSE - Central Board of Secondary Education, CBSE India Guess Papers, CBSE Sample Papers, Tutors In India, CBSE Schools, CBSE Books.  
CBSE CBSE Papers CBSE Schools CBSE Alumni CBSE Tutors CBSE eBooks Educational Articles Indian Education Education Forum Fun Zone Fun Zones

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: To participate in this form you need to register as your CBSEGuess.com login info will not work here. Click Here to Register

Chemy Qs

Ask you questions of CBSE Class XII and discuss the same here. For any doubts relates to CBSE Class XII.

Chemy Qs

Postby avid_reader » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:04 am

Hi
Can ne 1 of u ans these qs 4 me
1. Acidity of oxo acids HClO4 > HClO3> HClO2>HClO
2.Oxidizing power of HClO4>HClO3>HClO2>HClO
3.Acidity of oxo acids HOCl > HOBr > HOI
4.Ka2 of H2SO4 is << Ka1
5.HCl & HNO3 are prd by reacting NaCl & NaNO3 RESPECTIVELY wth H2SO4 while HBr &HI can't be prd by this method.
6.Concentrated HNO3 becomes yellow when exposed to light (or) concentrated HNO3is an oxidizing agent. :?:

..........I do know the answers for some of the abuv ques.....but not very sure.....do help me out....it wud be of gr8 help......

c ya...
avid_reader

Re: Chemy Qs

Postby kauser » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:02 am

1.acidity increases with increase in oxidation number of the halo

3.u rote this wrong its the other way HOI>hoBr> HOCl ; because as the size of halo increases the acidic srength increases.

4.This ones in the text right?? Because H2SO4 ionises completely unlike HSO4- (thats minus) so the pka1 (H2SO4) is greater than Pka2

the remaining I'll later Im not quite sure ie if someone else doesnt fill this up.
Please suggest ur time in WHERE are YOU....
Last edited by kauser on Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kauser

Postby itz_me » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:53 pm

Hey,
for 6) The yellow colour of the usual nitric acid is due to the presence of nitrogen di oxide NO2 -formed by the decomposition of HN03 in the sunlight.
4HNO3->(SUNLIGHT OR HEAT) 4NO2 + 2H20+O2.
5) SINCE HBR AND HI ARE STRONG REDUCING AGENTS;
KX+H2SO4 -> KHSO4 + HX
H2SO4+2HX -> SO2 + X +2H2O. (WHERE X == BR OR I)

@ KAUSER--THE 3 ORDER IS CORRECT ( ONLY FOR HALIC ACID HOX3 THE ORDER YOU HAVE GIVEN IS RIGHT... I GUESS)
BASICALY THE ACIDIC STRENGHT DEPENDS ON THE THE STABILIZING POWER OF THE CONJUGATE ION CLO4- IS VERY STABLE BECAUSE THE NEG ATIVE CHARGE IS DISTRIBUTED AND THE MULTIPLE BOND FORMATION IS MORE) THEREFORE IT IS LEAST BASIC OR A STRONG ACID
itz_me

Postby avid_reader » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:45 am

hi
the ans for....acidity of oxo acids.....
as the atomic size increases ......down a group.....nuclear attraction decreases....thus release of H+ is easier.......
........the above was wat I thought was the ans.......

And ...yeah ...another thing........is acidity == oxidising power?????
and....acidity == reducing charachter

c ya... :|
avid_reader

Postby kauser » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:01 pm

whats the answer for the oxidising power???
kauser

Postby avid_reader » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:40 am

......I think it is same as the acidity one .....thats why I had asked.....
avid_reader

Return to CBSE Class XII Helpline