CBSE Guess Official Helpline Forum for CBSE Students, Teachers and Parents. Educational Portals: ICSE | IGNOU | NIOS | IIT JEE | AIPMT | AIEEE | Friends
CBSE - Central Board of Secondary Education, CBSE India Guess Papers, CBSE Sample Papers, Tutors In India, CBSE Schools, CBSE Books.  
CBSE CBSE Papers CBSE Schools CBSE Alumni CBSE Tutors CBSE eBooks Educational Articles Indian Education Education Forum Fun Zone Fun Zones

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: To participate in this form you need to register as your CBSEGuess.com login info will not work here. Click Here to Register

Problems in French?

Ask questions of CBSE Class X and discuss the same here. For any doubts relates to CBSE Class X.

Problems in French?

Postby French Teacher » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Do you have any problems in French?
Ask your questions...
...I will try to help you.
French Teacher

Re: Problems in French?

Postby PIYUSH » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:00 am

hello teacher,
i'm Piyush gupta a french student and i face a lot of problems in section A because of inappropriate vocabulary.
section b also pose some problems because of the same reason .
if you could help me by anyway it would be a kind of bonus for me.hope you try to do so.
thank you.
piyush
PIYUSH

Postby sindhu » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:37 am

HAI,I am sindhu a french student can you give me some tips to improve my vocabulary.please :? :? :?
sindhu

Postby sindhu » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:37 am

sindhu wrote:HAI,I am sindhu a french student can you give me some tips to improve my vocabulary.please :? :? :?
sindhu

Postby French Teacher » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:11 am

Hi Piyush, hi Sindhu,

To improve your vocabulary, start reading!

Read dictionnaries, read texts from question papers (section A) and translate it. There's no secret... You have to read in French.
Use your text book ("Entre Jeunes2"), "Together with French" or the new "Cahier d'exercices, X" of Mahitha Ranjit.
Online, you can use the site of Laura Lawless :
http://french.about.com/
Check it out: http://french.about.com/library/weekly/ ... ub-voc.htm

Extract:
Parce que, Car, Puisque, Comme
Conjunctions of Conclusion

The French conjunctions parce que, car, puisque, and comme are commonly used to draw conclusions or otherwise relate a cause or explanation with a result or conclusion. These conjunctions have similar but not identical meanings and uses - this lesson explains the difference.

Parce que Because
Parce que is a subordinating conjunction and can begin a sentence. Parce que introduces a cause, explanation, or motive - it explains why something is done.
Je ne suis pas venu parce que mon fils est malade. I didn't come because my son is sick.
Parce qu'il n'a pas d'argent, il ne peut pas venir. Because he doesn't have any money, he can't come.

Car Because, for
Car is a coordinating conjunction, should not begin a sentence, and is mainly found in formal and written French. Car supports a judgment or indicates a reason.
La réunion fut annulée car le président est malade. The meeting was canceled because the chairman is sick.
David ne va pas venir, car il est à l'université. David isn't coming, for he is (away) at school.

Puisque Since, because
Puisque is a subordinating conjunction and can begin a sentence. Puisque gives an obvious explanation or justification, rather than a cause.
Tu peux partir puisque tu es malade. You can leave, since you're sick.
Puisque c'était son erreur, il m'a aidé. Since it was his mistake, he helped me.

Comme As, since
Comme is a subordinating conjunction and usually begins a sentence. Comme highlights the link between a consequence and its result.
Comme je lis le plus vite, j'ai déjà fini. As I read the fastest, I've already finished.
Comme il est faible, il ne pouvait pas le lever.
French Teacher

Postby radhika » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 am

can u plz tell me the difference b/w ceci n celsa n how r they different from celui-ci n celui-la n also where r they used i.e. ceci cela :? :?
radhika

Postby French Teacher » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi Radhika,

First, a small recap:

These words are named pronoms démonstratifs simples ou composés (Demonstrative pronouns):

1. Formes simples :
masculin singulier = celui
féminin singulier = celle
masculin pluriel = ceux
féminin pluriel = celles
neutre (neutral) = ce

2. Formes composées :
masculin singulier = celui-ci, celui-là.
féminin singulier = celle-ci, celle-là.
masculin pluriel = ceux-ci, ceux-là.
féminin pluriel = celles-ci, celles-là.
neutre (neutral) = ceci, cela, ça.

The pronom démonstratif often replaces a noun preceded by an adjectif démonstratif.
They are used to translate into French "the one(s) (that), "the one(s) (which), "the one(s) (who)" (do not use "l'un"). The plural forms, "ceux" and "celles," can also mean "those that," "those who," or "those which."
"Ci" express the closeness and "là" the distance. For comparisons "ci" refers to the last named and "" refers to the first
Demonstrative Pronouns are also used with "de" to indicate people or things possessed by someone or something.

To answer your question :

1. cela, ceci and ça are used to refer to an entire clause or to a general idea, but not to a specific word.
a) "Ceci" is generally used only in opposition to "Cela."
b) "Ça" is only used in conversation or in quoted conversation.
c) Replace "cela" with "ce" before the verb "être."

2. "ce" is used before "être" to say "It is" or "This (that) is." "Ce" can also be used before "devoir être" and "pouvoir être."
"cela" is used before all other verbs to say "It" or "This (that)."
Examples:
a. C'est elle (Pierre, le médecin) qui l'a dit.
b. Cela paraît te déranger.
c. Ce doit être vrai.

3. The French use "cela" and "ça" much less frequently than Americans use the equivalent pronouns, "this" and "that," especially in writing. The French prefer to replace "cela" and "ça" with the demonstrative adjectives "ce," "cet," "cette," or "ces" followed by a noun that resumes the entire idea. In this way they bind words more strongly to each other.
Example:
Il a pris le train?
That surprises me. = Cette action me surprend.

4. "It is" is translated "Il est" and not "C'est" when followed by an adjective and when introducing a new idea. But when "It is" refers back to an idea that has already been stated, it is translated "C'est."
NOTE: "Il est" + adjective is followed by "de" + infinitive,
whereas "c'est" + adjective is followed by "à" + infinitive.
Examples:
a. It is important to arrive on time. = Il est important d'arriver à temps.
b. Yes, that's (it's) important to do. = Oui, c'est important à faire.
French Teacher

Postby radhika » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:09 pm

thank u soo much...
tht sure will help me..
radhika

Postby radhika » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:28 pm

SIR I WUD LIKE U TO RECHECK MY WRITING SECTION THE ONE I DID IN MY 2ND PREBOARDS... AS MY TEACHER HAS OVERLUKED MANY MISTAKES OF MY FRNDS SO I THNK IT WILL B THE SAME CASE IN MINE... SHUD I POST IT UP HERE OR WILL U GIVE ME A SEPARATE EMAIL ID..
THNK U SOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D
radhika

Postby French Teacher » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:24 am

Hi Radhika,
You can post it here :
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84
8-)
French Teacher

Next

Return to CBSE Class X Helpline